Sunday, May 08, 2005

I did something amazing!

Saturday 7th May 2005, was a day I had been planning to do for the last year, but with the recent events, I wasn't sure if it was actually going to happen...

For the last 4 years I have been taking part in a local annual event to raise money for Cancer Research. It's called "Race for Life" and as I have lost too many family members to this horrible illness, and being diagnosed with skin cancer 5 months ago it's my way of giving something back.

The event's a 5km course that you can run, jog or walk. I completed the course on my crutches since I am recovering from my operation. I hobbled the course with my Mum and my best friend walking slowly along side me in 1 hour and 21 minutes which I was chuffed to bits with, which compared to last years power walk of 40 mins was good going!

I have raised over £426 and counting as my sponsor page is still live.. If anyone would like to sponsor me after reading this please let me know and I will send the link to my page.

Someone who sponsored me contacted the local paper. So they interviewed me and ran an article last week on how I had "taken on the race for life"complete with my picture at the finishing line proudly wearing my medal, so I am now known in my home town, very weird feeling being pointed at and congratualted in the street!

I cannot begin to explain how much my body hurt afterwards, but it was so worth it. If I can help make a difference in others lives who are not as fortunate as me, I will, even if it means hobbling around a 5km course for charity!

Next year, I plan to run it... so watch this space ;o) !!!

2 Comments:

At 8:28 PM, May 20, 2005, Blogger Ms. Entropy said...

WOW!

Good for you!!!

 
At 12:58 AM, June 25, 2005, Blogger Ben Of Denver said...

You're a trooper, I'm thinking! I guess I've been not as present the last months as well, trying not to be so, er, distracted at work. But I gots to know now, how's the new job and boss? Early signs were good, certainly. Glad it's all behind you now. How positively frightning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
hit Counter